Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki is my favorite Japanese food. It is also known as Japanese pizza. It is essentially a savory pancake in which meats and vegetables are cooked on a skillet in a batter. There are two styles: Osaka-style okonomiyaki involves mixing the pancake ingredients before placing them on the skillet. In most restaurants, customers mix it themselves (part of the fun!). I was lucky to eat this style twice on my trip.
Raw ingredients ready for mixing:



Cooking pancakes at our table:




Pancakes dressed with sauce, mayo, green onions and bonito flakes: ready to eat!



Another okonomiyaki lunch in Kamakura:













Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki includes noodles and cabbage. The pancake is cooked first then ingredients added. Chefs cook this for you.




 Cabbage and pork added to the cooking pancakes.



The delicacy is finished with sauce, mayo and a cooked egg!





My friend Koresawa ready to dig in!



Of both styles, Osaka-style is my favorite! I look forward to visiting the Japanese grocery stores in San Jose and cooking some in a few weeks (once I am eating Japanese food again)!

No comments:

Post a Comment